Wednesday, May 9, 2012

52 Lists in 52 Weeks: List 47

List 47: Things I've learned from my job. The point though is to think of all the things you've learned from this area in your life. Whether they are good lessons, or non-examples that helped teach you what not to do. Everything is a learning experience after all.

So it has been a long time since I participated in the list challenge, but I saw this one and knew I could come up with a good list!

So without getting in to too many details of what I do, I am just going to leave it at clerk for a mail order pharmacy. Here we go...

Things I've learned from my job: Associate Pharmacy Clerk

-There are a lot of funny/cruel/similar names I encounter on a daily basis ( I would love to share..but due to HIPPA violations, I can't do that!) Let's just say I will not be naming my child "Richard" or "Anita" any time soon.

- Old people love to tell you their life story/medical history on a notebook size sheet of paper...front and back! Things that I don't need to know or in regards to medication they are ordering

- Older people love arts and crafts!  They love to fold prescriptions into tiny origami, use colored markers/highlighters, staples, stickers, return address labels, paper clips, straight pins, safety pins, glue and double stick tape! 

-Tape needs to be banned after a certain age! I have seen what looks to be a whole roll of scotch tape used to tape down prescriptions to a sheet of paper.  I have also seen patients use masking, packing, duct, electrical, surgical, painters, all sorts of tape and post its,...etc!  If I can't get into your envelope, you are only going to slow down the process of me getting your prescription prepped and sent out.

- I will never understand why you send your prescriptions "Priority mail" and spend $15+ to ship it only to tell me inside to "Profile all scripts"

- Old people LOVE to send porn images in our business reply envelopes they figure if it's paid for..why not mess with us!

- On the other hand we also get a lot of "Jesus literature"

- Some times envelopes are even stuffed with expired coupons and other junk mail and cat hair!

-  There are a lot of diabetic patients in this world

- Some patients may only need 1 prescription while others need 27! Yes this is the most I have seen ordered!

- I still giggle from time to time when prescriptions for Viagra, Vaginal dryness creams, and "Erection vacuum equipment" are ordered (And then my mind wanders and I am grossed out!)

- Elderly people get confused easily and quite frequently will write "Subscription" for "Prescription"

-  Is it really necessary to bleed all over your prescriptions? I know you have thin skin..but Ewww!
(the same goes for boogers, possible urine, spilled beverages, etc...)

-If I ever wanted to be a stamp collecter now is my chance.  I see so many different stamps dating back to over 50+ years ago it amazes me. (Also don't send coins in the mail)

- I am not your neighborhood pharmacy..if it is an emergency, then maybe you shouldn't have waited till the last minute.  You know it is going to take 3-5 days to mail your envelope to me, and another 5-7 business days to process and get the drugs to you. (Otherwise you are going to pay a hefty "overnight fee")

- I hate being called "sir" do you think that all pharmacists are men?

Things I've learned from my job: Coworkers/ Work Environment

-Being nice goes a long way! 

- Always bring a sweater and a fan you will need both in the same day

- Women are disgusting in the bathroom (though I do share it with probably 75 others) but still!

- I do not like to pick up the slack on your end because you quit your job for the day early

-Sitting at the computer all day can get pretty boring.

- Mistakes can/do happen..but it can kill my patients!




No comments:

Post a Comment