Tuesday, May 1, 2012

24 Weeks/ 6 Months

6 Months

24 Weeks: 4.24.12

How your baby's growing:

Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn)


he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.


How your life's changing:

In the past few weeks, the top of your uterus has risen above your belly button and is now about the size of a soccer ball. Most women have a glucose screening test (also called a glucose challenge test or GCT) between now and 28 weeks. This test checks for gestational diabetes, a pregnancy-related high-blood-sugar condition.

Untreated diabetes increases your risk of having a difficult vaginal delivery or needing a cesarean section because it causes your baby to grow too large, especially in his upper body. It also raises your baby's odds for other complications like low blood sugar right after birth. A positive result on your GCT doesn't mean you have gestational diabetes, but it does mean that you'll need to take the glucose tolerance test (GTT) to find out for sure.

Update:

-  This week Grammy Tammy is in town, and she has already started to spoil you!!  We have been keeping extra busy by registering for things that you are going to need, looking at nursery furniture (dressers, glider)  buying some large necessities that she didn't want us to lug back from MN after the baby shower, looking at all the cute clothes in stores and buying some..(we showed some restraint..for now!)

- We also had our 6 month checkup on 4.24.12 We had a second ultrasound this morning to check for a cleft lip (since you were hiding so low in my pelvis at the last appointment) After having a sleepy morning (curled up facing my back) the U/S tech finally got you to shift to get the photo she needed. And you checked out completely normal..YAY!! She was also able to confirm for us, that you were still a girl.. just a little extra confirmation that I needed after my nephew came out a niece!  Another good bit news..my placenta has also lifted in the last month.  At my last appointment, they told me it was stting low, but in 90-95% of all cases it will lift on it's own once mom starts to gain more weight (which I have!) I am now up 1lb from my starting weight.and you are measuring 1lb 5oz.

- The doc also sent me home with my bottle of orange Glucola that I need to drink before my glucose test at my next appointment..SO not looking forward to having my blood drawn. ICK!!  Hoping it will go just fine, and that I don't have to complete the 3 hr test where they stick you 4 times!!

- 4.30.12 I'm not sure if you are playing a funny joke on me or what..but you made me so sick and nauseous this morning that I ended up having to go home from work after only an hour and a half there. I couldn't keep anything down most of the day.  I went home and slept for 3.5 hrs and then proceeded to get a half hour nap in before dinner and another 1 hr nap in late evening..and still managed to sleep 8.5hrs last night! I am feeling completely refreshed though today!


24 Weeks/6 months

 

No comments:

Post a Comment