Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Week 15 &16

Week 15
Tuesday 2.21.12

So... 2 days after my 14th week had started, I got horribly sick! So... much of week 15 was spent trying to recover. (I even called in sick to work for the first time in 2.5 years!)  I'm tired, snotty, coughing, stuffed up, can't breathe, wanting to sleep all the time and just all around miserable.  Ughhh!!!  I can't take any of the good drugs that I am used to taking, and my "alternatives" just aren't cutting it.  Benadryl worked really well at night helping me to decongest and actually get a good night sleep.   

How your baby's growing:

Your growing baby now measures about 4 inches long, crown to rump, and weighs in at about 2 1/2 ounces (about the size of an apple)



She's busy moving amniotic fluid through her nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in her lungs begin to develop. Her legs are growing longer than her arms now, and she can move all of her joints and limbs.

Although her eyelids are still fused shut, she can sense light. If you shine a flashlight at your tummy, for instance, she's likely to move away from the beam.

There's not much for your baby to taste at this point, but she is forming taste buds.

Finally, if you have an ultrasound this week, you may be able to find out whether your baby's a boy or a girl! (Don't be too disappointed if it remains a mystery, though. Nailing down your baby's sex depends on the clarity of the picture and on your baby's position. He or she may be modestly curled up or turned in such a way as to "hide the goods.")

How your life's changing:


 
You've probably gained about 5 pounds by now (a little more or less is fine, too) and are well into the swing of your pregnancy, but you may still be surprised by an unexpected symptom now and then. If your nose is stuffed up, for instance, you can probably chalk it up to the combined effect of hormonal changes and increased blood flow to your mucous membranes. This condition is so common, there's even a name for it: "rhinitis of pregnancy." Some pregnant women also suffer nosebleeds as a result of increased blood volume and blood vessel expansion in the nose.
 
If you're having amniocentesis, it'll most likely happen between now and 18 weeks. This test can identify hundreds of genetic and chromosomal disorders. If you're getting very anxious while waiting for the results, it may help to know that most women who undergo amniocentesis get good news about their babies — bringing welcome relief from their worries.

Don't be surprised if you and your partner are feeling a little stressed out these days. Many pregnant couples worry about their baby's health and how they'll handle the changes ahead. But with physical discomforts on the wane and energy on the rise, this is also a wonderful trimester for most women.


* So I find it amusing that I should have gained about 5 lbs by now...I am down 6 lbs from my original starting weight! I chalk it up to the last month of being sick and nothing tasting or sounding good..add in morning sickness and I guess we have an answer as to why I am down weight wise. (And for what it's worth I have gained a whole cup size and gone up 2" in my bra size so where is this weight going?)

My nose is still stuffy even after my cold..so I am going to blame the rhinitis. I have also been getting nosebleeds, which could be from me blowing my nose more frequently and also dry winter air.  But it could also be the increased blood volume and sensitivity.

I am also starting to worry and be anxious.  Especially after being so sick, and taking meds to get better.  I feel like I have been killing my baby.. I know, awful right!  But I know plenty of women have had the same experiences I have, and have gone on to have healthy babies.  And just think of all the women who didn't know they were pregnant at this point, and their kids turned out just fine.





Week 16
Tuesday 2.28.11

Finally feeling a lot better!! I am finally over the sickness hump, and my energy is back.  I have a serious urge to nest (or at least play catch up on things I have been neglecting from the previous weeks of not feeling good.) Food has been sounding good, and I am eating/snacking all the time (and drinking lots of fluids.)  I have cooked dinner 2 nights in a row now, have been able to stay up much later then I have before, and even cleaned the whole house on my day off today.

How your baby's growing:

Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces.



His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too.

The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails.

And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop.


How your life's changing:

The top of your uterus is about halfway between your pubic bone and your navel, and the round ligaments that support it are thickening and stretching as it grows.

You're probably feeling a whole lot better as you settle into pregnancy, too. Less nausea, fewer mood swings, and "glowing" skin contribute to an overall sense of well-being.

Soon you'll experience one of the most wonderful moments of pregnancy — feeling your baby move. While some women notice "quickening" as early as 16 weeks, many don't feel their baby move until about 18 weeks or more. (And if this is your first baby, don't be too impatient — you may not be aware of your baby's movements until 20 weeks or so.)

The earliest movements may feel like little flutters, gas bubbles, or even like popcorn popping. Over the following weeks they'll grow stronger and you'll be able to feel them much more frequently.




16 weeks today

* Definitely a bigger belly then last month considering I have lost weight, but still not huge (which I guess I am surprised at!)  My chest is much bigger in this pic then the previous month.  I haven't felt any movements yet, but my belly sure is itchy..it's like I can feel it expanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment