Wednesday, March 14, 2012

18 Weeks

18 weeks 3.14.12

How your baby's growing:

-Head to rump, your baby is about 5 1/2 inches long (about the length of a bell pepper) and he weighs almost 7 ounces.



-He's busy flexing his arms and legs — movements that you'll start noticing more and more in the weeks ahead.

-His blood vessels are visible through his thin skin, and his ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from his head a bit.

-A protective covering of myelin is beginning to form around his nerves, a process that will continue for a year after he's born.

-If you're having a girl, her uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and in place. If you're having a boy, his genitals are noticeable now, but he may hide them from you during an ultrasound.

How your life's changing:

-Hungry? An increase in appetite is pretty common about now. Make it count by choosing meals and snacks that are rich in nutrients instead of empty calories (chips, French fries, candy, and other sweets). Bigger, more comfortable clothes are a must now as your appetite and waistline grow.
-Your cardiovascular system is undergoing dramatic changes, and during this trimester your blood pressure will probably be lower than usual. Don't spring up too fast from a lying or sitting position or you might feel a little dizzy. 

-From now on, when you do lie down, it's best to lie on your side — or at least partly tilted to one side. (When you lie flat on your back, your uterus can compress a major vein, leading to decreased blood return to your heart.) Try placing a pillow behind you or under your hip or upper leg for comfort.

-If you haven't already had a second-trimester ultrasound, you'll probably have one soon. This painless procedure helps your practitioner check how your baby's growing, screen for certain birth defects, check the placenta and umbilical cord, determine whether the due date you're working with is accurate, and see how many babies you're carrying. During the exam, you might see your baby moving around or sucking his thumb. Bring your partner along, and be sure to ask for a printout for your baby's first photo album!

*Update

- I am definitely more hungry now then I have been before.  I know find myself wanting snacks every 2-3 hrs. I have breakfast in the morning (usualy a bowl of Special K cereal) and then even before my morning break I want a snack. Usually yogurt or string cheese, but lately I have been keeping Rice Krispy Bars, Ritz Bits cheese and crackers, fruit snacks or Handi Snacks in my desk...just in case.  2 hrs later I eat lunch, and then again by 3pm I am ready for another snack I keep 100 cal packs of Chips Ahoy cookies (for my sweet cravings) and 100 cal packs of Cheese It Extra Cheddar Snack Mix (salty) I try to avoid hitting the vending machine when I can help it, but I have had a wicked craving for the Cream Cheese Danish that they keep stocked in there :)

- I haven't checked my blood pressure since my last appointment, but I am hoping it goes down.  I have always been borderline high at 140/90.  Genetics are to blame, but I also get a wicked case of "White coat syndrome" when I go to the doctor. (Even though I know I have nothing to worry about!) I haven't had any problems with dizziness though.

-  I find myself being more comfortable on my side or upright. I have never been a back sleeper, and I sleep on the left side of the bed on my side anyways.  Occasionally I want to lay on my stomach, but I can't stay there very long. IF I am on the couch, I prefer to sit up and watch tv rather then lay.

- Our next Ultrasound/Doctor's Appt is in 2 weeks on the 27th! I am so excited to finally find out what we are having I can barely contain myself.  I am ready to give it a personality and identify with what is in there instead of it being "it"

- I had a chiropractor appointment Monday after work.  I had been having pain down in my lower back by my tail bone area when I would undress, sneeze or sit too long at work.  Dr Fitzgerald was able to adjust my hips and align everything back into place.  I haven't felt this wonderful in awhile.

- Pat has been training this week and is having a boys weekend, so I have the house to myself to do what I want,  when I want.  I have been enjoying doing things I want on my time. (and I know this time is precious and limited!)

No comments:

Post a Comment