Tuesday 7.17.12
If you told me this morning that I was going to wake up, have breakfast, and head to the doctor for my 36 week appointment and 11 hrs later have a baby..I would say "you've got to be kidding me..right?!" Well that's what happened today!! 29 days early!!
10:15 am
I went in for my 36 week appointment this morning, checked in and was escorted down the hall to be weighed (up only 9 lbs from my original starting weight) and then to a room for my exam. My appointment was at 10:15am and my doctor was out on a delivery that morning and they would be expecting her back shortly. My blood pressure was taken and it was unusually high that morning. I told the nurse that I had hurried into the office that morning so it could be elevated because of that. She said she would be back in 5 minutes to check it again. I laid down on my left side and took it easy while waiting for the nurse to come back. She checked me again..still high! She asked me if I had any blurred vision, seeing spots, headaches, swelling, anything...?? Nothing..I felt completely fine! Alright..the doctor should be here shortly. As I lay there, trying to get internet on my phone (and failing) I looked through the magazines that were in the room (catching up on Jessica Simpson and Baby Maxwell) 30 minutes had gone by..and I am getting tired and bored. The nurse knocked at the door and said they weren't sure how much longer it would be, and if I wanted to see another doctor or wait. I choose to wait. With paper thin walls, I can here the nurse on the phone trying to track down my doctor, and talking to other nurses and asking them "why the L&D department called her out so early if the lady wasn't even ready to push yet!"
11:30am
My doctor finally arrives and is briefed on what is going on with me. She checks my blood pressure again, and it is still high. She gives me my Group B Strep test (GBS) and does an internal exam to see if I have started to dialate. I have only thinned out at this point..no progress (thank goodness, because I am still early!) The next thing I know, she is ordering me to go next door to the hospital for routine monitoring of my blood pressure. Great!! So she calls the Special Addition Birth Center at the hospital next door to let them know that I will be right over.
11:45am
I call Pat, who was VERY busy at work that morning (and even went in early today, to take care of some business) to let him know that I just finished my appointment, and that I was going next door to the hospital to be checked out. I begin to sob at this point..and he knows something is wrong. I reassure him that everything is fine, and that I am just scared. He asks me if I want him to leave work, but I told him to stay and it is probably nothing. I agree to call him back when I know more.
12:00pm
I arrive and get checked in at the desk. Thank goodness I had already pre registered 3 weeks prior.. they already had all my paperwork on file and hospital bracelets printed out!! They put a hospital band on me (which freaked me out!) and Ashley my nurse escorted me through the doors to the L&D rooms. Does this mean I'm staying? Or is this routine? Seems pretty permanent to me!!
12:15pm
I get checked into my room, #287 and Ashley asks me to change into a gown and then runs a basic medical history on me and then takes my vitals. After she is all done with this she draws my blood and sends it to the lab to check for any irregularities: proteins, platelet counts, kidney functions, etc... to find out why my BP is so high. I am now hooked up to a blood pressure cuff and a fetal monitor to check to make sure the baby is doing alright
12:15 - 1:45pm
Ashley continues to monitor me every 15-30 minutes, with no sign of improvement. After speaking with my doctor, they have now decided to admit me and run a 24 hr urinalysis on me to check for protein in my urine. I call to let Pat know that I am now admitted and need a phone charger, because my phone is about to die..and if he needs me to call my room number.
I was starving at this point! Ashley asked if she could get me anything and I said that I hadn't eaten anything since 8:30 that morning (and it was almost 2!) She was able to find a hospital tray with a turkey sandwich (which was the best thing ever, since I have not had any deli meat in approximately 8 months due to nitrates and listeria) an apple, sun chips and a chocolate chip cookie were also on the tray..I ate everything! (Little did I know that this was going to be my last meal other then ice chips until breakfast on the 19th!!)
2:00- 3:30pm
Just hanging out by myself, watching tv and trying to rest. (all while absolutely consumed with the thoughts that are running through my mind.) I still can't figure this out..Why am I here? If I only have high numbers (and I feel fine) with no symptoms, then why do I have to stay? Why can't I just do my urinalysis at home, and pee in the big orange jug and bring it back in the am for testing? What else are they going to find wrong with me from my labs (which every test came back absolutely normal) Is the baby alright? Am I going to have the baby today? Can I have the baby today if I have only thinned out? Is she going to be healthy? And a million other questions.
Around 3:00 I texted my mom to let her know I was in the hospital being monitored EVERYTHING IS FINE..but my phone is going to die, and I gave her the phone number where she could reach me at. I can only imagine the panic when she saw that message even though I was fine. :)
3:30pm
Pat arrives, I start to cry when I see him. I tell him everything that has been going on..he still can't believe I am in the hospital, and won't be going home that night. Another blood draw is done, and I am glad I have someone to hold my hand this time (I hate needles!)
4:00pm
I call my mom at 3 separate numbers and finally get a hold of her. I let her know that everything is fine, my blood pressure is high and I am in the hospital for monitoring and a 24 hr urinalysis. She is ready to go home and pack a bag, and get in the car and start driving 6.5-7 hrs! I finally convince her not to! My labs are fine, and we were waiting on the doctor to come evaluate the situation. (Besides, she can't do anything for me anyways, and then if she drives down and stays, she is just going to have to come back in a month when the baby is born..so don't waste her time off on me.) I'm a big girl..I'll be fine!
5:30pm
My mom calls again to ask if anything is new. Nope! She said she had already started to pack a bag and would be leaving for KS right after they finished dinner. Just then my doctor walks in and I need to hang up and see what she is going to tell me. They want to start an IV and try giving me Magnesium to see if that will help bring my blood pressure down. She also lets me know my options at this point and this even includes having a baby tonight! HUH??...Excuse me!??!!
Before the IV is started (now the 3rd set of needles to poke me at this point) they inform me that I will no longer be able to get up out of bed due to the Magnesium (since one of the side effects is dizziness, and they don't need me falling down and passing out) So now I am no longer allowed to get up and go to the bathroom. I beg my doctor and nurse one last time to be able to go to the bathroom on my own because I sure as hell don't want to be using the bed pan.. (I promised not to pass out, and they agreed.) I also tried my hardest to poop (just incase I was going to deliver that night) TMI..I know! :) (and failed)
6:00- 6:30 pm
Magnesium kicks in..I feel hot and flushed, nauseous, my heart starts beating really fast. I ask for a cool compress and feel much better
6:30 pm
I finally feel well enough to call my mom to let her know that we are probably going to be having a baby tonight. She is already on the road, and mad that she didn't trust her first instincts and leave sooner so she could be there for the baby's arrival. I'm just glad she is on her way! 15 minutes later she is calling me back, wondering if she should turn around and pick up my dad too. Pat had left to finish something that had to be done at work. He felt bad leaving me, but it's not like I was going anywhere and it was time sensitive and had to get done. (he was back within the hour)
7:00 pm
Sift change: Ashley is done and Lacey is now in charge. I just hope she is as nice as my first nurse. (and she is) After being briefed on why I was there, she administers another dose of Magnesium and this time I threw up. Thank goodness for the cone shaped barf bags, since I couldn't get up to throw up! Lacey felt horrible that I didn't feel well and kept saying "bless your little heart" (she was very southern)
7:30 pm
Pat arrives back at the hospital, and was now going to head home and shower, eat dinner and pack a bag of stuff we were going to need for our hospital stay
7:40 ish pm
No more then 10 minutes after Pat left my doctor came in and let me know that we were going in for surgery and this baby was coming tonight! After discussing our options earlier, and knowing that they could induce me and I would likely stall out in labor and then need a C, a C section was ordered and the OR was notified. She kept apologizing to me, knowing this is not what I had planned, but to tell you the truth..I had hours to think about this and I was okay with this option. I did ask if we could wait until Pat got back..and they said they wouldn't do it without him there! Lacey is already bringing in supplies to prep her and me for surgery. Anesthesia also came in and I signed my consent paperwork.
7:55- 8 pm
I call Pat to let him know that he needs to hurry back to the hospital, because we were going in for surgery as soon as he got back! I could sense the panic in his voice (which I never hear, because he is so calm and level headed) I told him to "hurry, but be safe" he grabbed the cameras and ipad and headed back out the door. No shower or dinner for this dad to be.
I call my mom next to let her know that as soon as Pat comes back, we are going in for surgery. She can't believe how fast everything is happening
8-8:45 pm
I am prepped and ready for surgery: papers are signed, jewelry removed, compression socks on, hairnet in place, catheter inserted, fentanyl hooked up..now a waiting game. Pat calls me one last time at 8:15 to make sure there is nothing else I need.. I tell him just bring the camera! (ahh..priorities!) He arrives back at the hospital within 20 minutes
8:45- 9:11 pm
Here we go.. I am as ready as I am going to be. (And I am surprisingly calm!) I am wheeled out of my room, and down the hall to the OR. I just remember how good it felt to get out of my room and into the cool air conditioned hall. (my room was very warm..and the magnesium didn't help) Pat had to stay behind the doors in the waiting area and get changed into his scrubs, while I proceeded into the OR for last minute prep. At this point there was a whole room full of people for me and the baby once she was born. (I would say 10-12 people total..Dr's, nurses, NICU nurses, Anesthesia, etc..)
I was transferred from my hospital bed to the OR table and told to hang my feet off the edge of the bed so my epidural could be placed. (Now remind you I was going to do a drug free birth because I hate needles so much) Lacey is in front of me and she is holding me in place while the doc places my Epidural. It didn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it was going to (thank god) I do remember the initial stick but then I started breathing through it and was alright. It felt like I had cinder blocks tied to my ankles, my legs were so heavy! Lacey helped lay me down and then the curtain was put up. I still remember thinking it felt like my legs were bent at the knees and up in the air..but they reassured me I was completely flat. I also remember feeling tingly and heavy as the juice worked it's magic. I tried to move my legs..and couldn't! Very weird!!
Then the nausea kicked in that I was warned about. I got really hot and sweaty and the anesthesia doc knew it was coming when he was talking to me and asking how I was doing. He got me a bucket and after spitting up a few times, I was good. Have you ever puked while laying down? Not fun..They even had a dentist type sucker to clean out my mouth. He got me a cool compress and I finally felt good enough to continue on with surgery.
At this point I'm "stable" so Pat is allowed to enter the OR. I barely recognized him because he was dressed like one of the doctors in his scrubs and face shield. He got to sit up by my head and hold my hand. He asked how I was doing, and I told him everything that had happened to me in the last 15 minutes. At this point I had the shakes (which is normal) the epidural had made me shake so uncontrollably that it almost hurt. I remember clenching my fists and jaw so tightly it hurt.
Now the team is ready to begin. I remember them poking around different areas, asking if I could feel anything, and I couldn't. It all happened so fast..I could smell burning from them cauterizing, and then saying that there would be some pressure, which I didn't think was that bad..and the next thing I know they asked Pat to stand up if he wanted a picture cause she was almost here.
And at 9:12 pm
I was starving at this point! Ashley asked if she could get me anything and I said that I hadn't eaten anything since 8:30 that morning (and it was almost 2!) She was able to find a hospital tray with a turkey sandwich (which was the best thing ever, since I have not had any deli meat in approximately 8 months due to nitrates and listeria) an apple, sun chips and a chocolate chip cookie were also on the tray..I ate everything! (Little did I know that this was going to be my last meal other then ice chips until breakfast on the 19th!!)
2:00- 3:30pm
Just hanging out by myself, watching tv and trying to rest. (all while absolutely consumed with the thoughts that are running through my mind.) I still can't figure this out..Why am I here? If I only have high numbers (and I feel fine) with no symptoms, then why do I have to stay? Why can't I just do my urinalysis at home, and pee in the big orange jug and bring it back in the am for testing? What else are they going to find wrong with me from my labs (which every test came back absolutely normal) Is the baby alright? Am I going to have the baby today? Can I have the baby today if I have only thinned out? Is she going to be healthy? And a million other questions.
Around 3:00 I texted my mom to let her know I was in the hospital being monitored EVERYTHING IS FINE..but my phone is going to die, and I gave her the phone number where she could reach me at. I can only imagine the panic when she saw that message even though I was fine. :)
3:30pm
Pat arrives, I start to cry when I see him. I tell him everything that has been going on..he still can't believe I am in the hospital, and won't be going home that night. Another blood draw is done, and I am glad I have someone to hold my hand this time (I hate needles!)
4:00pm
I call my mom at 3 separate numbers and finally get a hold of her. I let her know that everything is fine, my blood pressure is high and I am in the hospital for monitoring and a 24 hr urinalysis. She is ready to go home and pack a bag, and get in the car and start driving 6.5-7 hrs! I finally convince her not to! My labs are fine, and we were waiting on the doctor to come evaluate the situation. (Besides, she can't do anything for me anyways, and then if she drives down and stays, she is just going to have to come back in a month when the baby is born..so don't waste her time off on me.) I'm a big girl..I'll be fine!
5:30pm
My mom calls again to ask if anything is new. Nope! She said she had already started to pack a bag and would be leaving for KS right after they finished dinner. Just then my doctor walks in and I need to hang up and see what she is going to tell me. They want to start an IV and try giving me Magnesium to see if that will help bring my blood pressure down. She also lets me know my options at this point and this even includes having a baby tonight! HUH??...Excuse me!??!!
Before the IV is started (now the 3rd set of needles to poke me at this point) they inform me that I will no longer be able to get up out of bed due to the Magnesium (since one of the side effects is dizziness, and they don't need me falling down and passing out) So now I am no longer allowed to get up and go to the bathroom. I beg my doctor and nurse one last time to be able to go to the bathroom on my own because I sure as hell don't want to be using the bed pan.. (I promised not to pass out, and they agreed.) I also tried my hardest to poop (just incase I was going to deliver that night) TMI..I know! :) (and failed)
6:00- 6:30 pm
Magnesium kicks in..I feel hot and flushed, nauseous, my heart starts beating really fast. I ask for a cool compress and feel much better
6:30 pm
I finally feel well enough to call my mom to let her know that we are probably going to be having a baby tonight. She is already on the road, and mad that she didn't trust her first instincts and leave sooner so she could be there for the baby's arrival. I'm just glad she is on her way! 15 minutes later she is calling me back, wondering if she should turn around and pick up my dad too. Pat had left to finish something that had to be done at work. He felt bad leaving me, but it's not like I was going anywhere and it was time sensitive and had to get done. (he was back within the hour)
7:00 pm
Sift change: Ashley is done and Lacey is now in charge. I just hope she is as nice as my first nurse. (and she is) After being briefed on why I was there, she administers another dose of Magnesium and this time I threw up. Thank goodness for the cone shaped barf bags, since I couldn't get up to throw up! Lacey felt horrible that I didn't feel well and kept saying "bless your little heart" (she was very southern)
7:30 pm
Pat arrives back at the hospital, and was now going to head home and shower, eat dinner and pack a bag of stuff we were going to need for our hospital stay
7:40 ish pm
No more then 10 minutes after Pat left my doctor came in and let me know that we were going in for surgery and this baby was coming tonight! After discussing our options earlier, and knowing that they could induce me and I would likely stall out in labor and then need a C, a C section was ordered and the OR was notified. She kept apologizing to me, knowing this is not what I had planned, but to tell you the truth..I had hours to think about this and I was okay with this option. I did ask if we could wait until Pat got back..and they said they wouldn't do it without him there! Lacey is already bringing in supplies to prep her and me for surgery. Anesthesia also came in and I signed my consent paperwork.
7:55- 8 pm
I call Pat to let him know that he needs to hurry back to the hospital, because we were going in for surgery as soon as he got back! I could sense the panic in his voice (which I never hear, because he is so calm and level headed) I told him to "hurry, but be safe" he grabbed the cameras and ipad and headed back out the door. No shower or dinner for this dad to be.
I call my mom next to let her know that as soon as Pat comes back, we are going in for surgery. She can't believe how fast everything is happening
8-8:45 pm
I am prepped and ready for surgery: papers are signed, jewelry removed, compression socks on, hairnet in place, catheter inserted, fentanyl hooked up..now a waiting game. Pat calls me one last time at 8:15 to make sure there is nothing else I need.. I tell him just bring the camera! (ahh..priorities!) He arrives back at the hospital within 20 minutes
8:45- 9:11 pm
Here we go.. I am as ready as I am going to be. (And I am surprisingly calm!) I am wheeled out of my room, and down the hall to the OR. I just remember how good it felt to get out of my room and into the cool air conditioned hall. (my room was very warm..and the magnesium didn't help) Pat had to stay behind the doors in the waiting area and get changed into his scrubs, while I proceeded into the OR for last minute prep. At this point there was a whole room full of people for me and the baby once she was born. (I would say 10-12 people total..Dr's, nurses, NICU nurses, Anesthesia, etc..)
I was transferred from my hospital bed to the OR table and told to hang my feet off the edge of the bed so my epidural could be placed. (Now remind you I was going to do a drug free birth because I hate needles so much) Lacey is in front of me and she is holding me in place while the doc places my Epidural. It didn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it was going to (thank god) I do remember the initial stick but then I started breathing through it and was alright. It felt like I had cinder blocks tied to my ankles, my legs were so heavy! Lacey helped lay me down and then the curtain was put up. I still remember thinking it felt like my legs were bent at the knees and up in the air..but they reassured me I was completely flat. I also remember feeling tingly and heavy as the juice worked it's magic. I tried to move my legs..and couldn't! Very weird!!
Then the nausea kicked in that I was warned about. I got really hot and sweaty and the anesthesia doc knew it was coming when he was talking to me and asking how I was doing. He got me a bucket and after spitting up a few times, I was good. Have you ever puked while laying down? Not fun..They even had a dentist type sucker to clean out my mouth. He got me a cool compress and I finally felt good enough to continue on with surgery.
At this point I'm "stable" so Pat is allowed to enter the OR. I barely recognized him because he was dressed like one of the doctors in his scrubs and face shield. He got to sit up by my head and hold my hand. He asked how I was doing, and I told him everything that had happened to me in the last 15 minutes. At this point I had the shakes (which is normal) the epidural had made me shake so uncontrollably that it almost hurt. I remember clenching my fists and jaw so tightly it hurt.
Now the team is ready to begin. I remember them poking around different areas, asking if I could feel anything, and I couldn't. It all happened so fast..I could smell burning from them cauterizing, and then saying that there would be some pressure, which I didn't think was that bad..and the next thing I know they asked Pat to stand up if he wanted a picture cause she was almost here.
And at 9:12 pm
Mallory Lynn Mahoney was born
( we later learned the cord was wrapped around her neck, waist and leg!)
4lbs 14 oz and 17.5" long
Our first family photo
I still can't believe when they called out her weight how small she was. Really..not even 5lbs?! I remember waiting for her to cry, and thinking I hope she is alright..and then it started. I was so relieved!! Pat asked me if he should stay with me or go with her. I wanted pictures, so of course..go with her! I laid there getting put back together, and he headed off with Mallory to be weighed and checked out. He later came back with her and we got our first family picture. They then wisked her off to the NICU.
After surgery we headed back to my room for the night. With a normal birth they move you to the postpartum side within hours, but since I was on Magnesium..I was staying put on the labor side for now for further observation. I finally was allowed ice chips and was on a "clear diet"
Another thing that surprised me was pumping. By 10:30 that night..they already had me working out that first "milk" to take to Mallory. Apparently I got a lot! The nurses were very surprised (as was I) for being early I wasn't sure how this whole process was going to work.
Wednesday 7.18.12
2:00am
My mom arrived! I was so excited to see her (even though I was high as a kite on Fentanyl!) We chatted for a bit and then we called my dad to let him know that my mom had made it and how I was doing.
2:45 am
Pat and my mom went to the NICU to see Mallory. They took a lot of pictures so I could see her through photos. (Since I was bed ridden) I was very thankful for this! Since it would be 27 hours after birth that I would finally get to see her.
Mallory's "home" for the next 11 days
Such a little peanut
3:30am
My mom headed back to our house and we finally went to bed for the night. What a crazy day!! Our lives are now forever changed! Now onto recovery
Hospital story to come!


Such a good story!!! I teared up in a few spots. :)
ReplyDelete